The Original Five Commercial Kitchens for Rent. Established 1984.
Office: (310) 837-8900
Chef's Commercial Kitchen Co-op
A Culinary Incubator for Artisanal Food. Small Private and Shared Commercial Kitchens.

Call us:
1716 South Robertson Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90035

Quick Numbers:

Safe Food: 1-323-238-0248
AAA Food Handler: 1-877-222-3487
Food Safety: 1-800-232-1917
Los Angeles Business License: 1-213-473-4901
State board of Equalization: 1-800-400-7115

Getting Started

Minimum Commitment:  Once you begin at Chef’s Kitchens we require a minimum commitment of 3 months at 16 hours per month (or as little as 4 hours per week).  Failure to follow through on this minimum commitment will result in forfeiture of your security deposit


Getting Started at Chef’s Kitchens is as easy as 1, 2, 3!

1) Register

Submit your application and $35 registration fee online by clicking here.

2) Submit Documents

Submit your ServSafe (food handler’s) certificate and your proof of insurance to us at either or by fax at (310) 459-3618.

3) Security Deposit

Pay your security deposit and begin booking your days and times.





You can apply on-line, by mail or fax.  There is a one-time $35 processing fee. Once your application is approved (within 48 hours) you can move ahead to begin booking kitchen hours. To get our application please click here.

Security Deposit

Your Security Deposit will be either $500 or $1000 depending on how often you use the kitchen (see prices page). Once your Security Deposit is paid (it can be paid on-line or by mail) you will receive a username and password to begin perusing our calendar and booking your times. For those who use the kitchens infrequently, their security deposits always insure them the opportunity to book kitchens when the need arises. If you will no longer be using Chef’s Kitchens your deposit will be returned.


Depending on how long you plan on renting the kitchens, first and last month’s rent are due before you can begin. For one-time use rentals and cooking classes the full amount is due before you can start. To determine what kind of category your rental will fit into, please read the prices page. You must pay for your kitchen rental hours when you book your time.
Payment can be made on-line or by mail.  Your hours cannot be confirmed without full payment.

Food Handler's Certificate (ServSafe)

To work in our commercial kitchens, you must have a food handler's certificate (also known as ServSafe). This will ensure you are following the Los Angeles health department regulations when you are preparing your food. There are many half-day courses given on a regular basis to become a Certified Food Handler. Please take a look on the left under "quick numbers" for schools that provide training. You can also find a location near you that does training on ServSafe's website.

ServSafe has an on-line Food Handlers course for $15.00. You can find the online course located here.

Insurance - must be submitted before starting work in the kitchen

We require all tenants to have general liability insurance. No matter if you are renting the kitchens for one hour or one month, you must have it. It covers our facility and equipment, as well as your products from any damage caused by our facility. You are responsible for the insurance, and most home and car insurance companies offer some kind of general liability insurance. Your policy needs to list us as an “additionally insured” property owner. If you need insurance, which is required for working in our kitchens, we have listed 2 Agents who have been helpful to other members of Chef’s Kitchens in obtaining reasonably priced business insurance policies.


Joan Schiewe

Grosslight Insurance Inc

(310) 689-5349

Brian K. Arteaga

EIS Insurance Services

Vice President


714-773-4000  Office
714-926-2689  Cell
714-773-4149  Fax


To Sell Your Product You Need:

A Business License

To become a "Business" you need to call the County of Los Angeles and apply for a business license at (213) 473-5901. If you go directly into the office, address listed below, you can get your license while you wait.  You can apply on-line or by mail but it may take several weeks to months for your application to be processed. It is also much faster to apply for your business license in person at their office at: 201 North Main Street, Room 101, Los Angeles, 90012. You do not need a business license if you are just testing or developing your product, but you need one when you sell your product.

Seller's Permit

You need to contact the State Board of Equalization get a Seller's Permit. Their number is: 1-800-400-7115. Press 1, 3, 2, 1 and then 4 to speak to a real person. You can also show up in person at the Culver City office at: 5901 Green Valley Circle, Culver City, 90230, and phone number (310) 342-1000.

You may also operate your business under a name that is different from yours. In this case, you'll need to get a "Fictitious Business Name" known as a DBA (Doing Business As). Make sure nobody in Los Angeles has your business name, click here to check on their website. You can also call them at 1-800-201-8999 and press 4. You can fill out an application online and then mail it to them by clicking here. Fictitious Business Names cost $23 to file.


As a permanent, 60+ hour tenant:

Once you move in for 60 hours per month or more expect the following:


You will receive a storage rack or designated area for your equipment and supplies. You can leave your stuff at the kitchen until your next scheduled time.

Cold Storage

Depending on what kind of product you make, you will be allocated refrigerator and freezer space. We have many 2, 3 and 4 door refrigerator and freezers, as well as a walk-in refrigerator and freezer.


All 60+ hour tenants will receive a personal United States Postal Service mailbox where they can receive mail at our address. You can use this as your business address, and this will also be your commercial kitchen address you give out to companies you sell your product at (such as the Farmer's Markets).


We provide lockers to hold your clothing and personal belongings while working in our kitchens. Tenants will provide their own locks.

Health Department

Once you reach the 60+ tier, you will sign a "Shared Agreement" form and will be sharing the existing Health Department License. You can then use this license number to validate your food products and give it to retailers who require a commercial kitchen that is health department licensed.

You will not need to contact the Health Department directly; this will be organized for you, as well as an on-premise meeting with the inspector.